[thelist] [CSS] Questions on padding and floating box

Pringle, Ron RPringle at aurora-il.org
Thu Jun 9 14:38:05 CDT 2005

> Hi, all.
>
> Please take a look at the page below and help me solve a
> couple issues
> I'm having with my stylesheet.

<SNIP>

> It works just how I want it to in IE, but I'd like the web
> site to work
> in FF as well. I started the design process with FF in mind, but ran
> into this speed bump.

> Minh Lee Goon
> digerati design studios . com

Minh-

The first thing you need to do is declare a valid doctype at the top of your
document.

In your case, that would be:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

As it is now, IE is rendering in quirks mode and that is accounting for the
difference in the widths of your content and header.

You may want to check out this page for more on doctypes (or just google
doctype):

http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html

And you should probably read up on the Box Model and containing floats:

Box Model - http://www.redmelon.net/tstme/box_model/

Floats and how to clear them -
http://www.positioniseverything.net/easyclearing.html

Regards,