[thelist] suExec

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Sun Jun 12 13:09:05 CDT 2005

We are requiring suExec for a Perl program we've written and I'm curious
what percentage of Apache servers we'll be excluding. Failure to run suExec
was how the Santy Worm defaced over a half a million websites last
Christmas, so I thought I might find some statistics done by security
organizations interested in knowing how many servers are still wide open to
attack, but have come up with nothing.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen any surveys on what percentage of Apache
servers are running the suExec utility. I know it is turned on by default
on Plesk, CPanel and Ensim and any big hosting company that's paying
attention has it running. I have the feeling the answers are available -
I'm just asking the wrong questions to find them. Anyone seen anything on
this??

Keith
cache at dowebs.com