[thelist] FUN: How widely used is each web technology?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Jun 14 00:53:54 CDT 2005

Quite interesting. However, I wonder, for some of these entries, how many
actually have pages with content devoted to the entry, and how many just
happen to be HTML pages (or pages that contain a <HTML> tag, or similar).

For example, if we fast forward to results around the 900 mark for HTML:
http://www.google.com/search?q=HTML&start=900&sa=N
we see that that the entire page of results appears to be there simply
because the pages have a .html extension. I would expect similar inflation to
be occurring for PHP and ASP (and XML, JSP, CSS etc). A search for ASP.NET
returns only ~8 million hits, whereas a search for ASPX returns ~73 million
hits, indicating that there may be some file extension inflation affecting
the results.

So, if we google for common file extensions, that might give us an indication
of the popularity of that technology, but hardly anyone gives their files
"ColdFusion" as an extension, or "VBScript", so searching for those terms
alongside PHP or ASP isn't going to give us meaningful data to compare. A
search for CF however returned ~21 million hits, which may give some
indication of the popularity of Cold Fusion (though it also seems to
encompass Cystic Fibrosis and Compact Flash amongst other topics)

Cheers
Ken

--
IIS blog:www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Stuart Young
: Subject: [thelist] FUN: How widely used is each web technology?
:

: So, I wondered, how popular (according to Google) are each of the web
: technologies? In particular, how popular are each of the different
: standards released by the W3.org? How popular are each of the languages
: that W3schools have tutorials for? The reason being, that the W3.org have
: a history of releasing standards that are ignored by the majority of
: developers, e.g. SMIL. Can we see which ones are actually used in the real
: world?
:
: Well here you go, here's most of the web languages here... some surprises
: for me were the low placing of ColdFusion and VBScript ...
:
: Web Technology       	No. of results on Google (determined 14th June
: 2005)
: HTML 	1,470,000,000
: RSS 	269,000,000
: ASP 	269,000,000
: PHP 	242,000,000
: XML 	190,000,000
: Java 	123,000,000
: Flash 	116,000,000
: JavaScript 	101,000,000
: CGI 	99,100,000
: CSS 	72,600,000
: JSP 	72,000,000
: XHTML 	47,300,000
: Perl 	43,300,000
: SQL 	31,300,000
: RDF 	19,100,000
: DOM 	17,600,000
: PICS 	13,400,000
: WAP 	13,300,000
: PNG 	10,300,000
: XSLT 	8,270,000
: DTD 	7,750,000
: XSL 	7,260,000
: DHTML 	6,550,000
: ColdFusion 	6,150,000
: SVG 	5,700,000
: ADO 	4,680,000
: WML 	3,290,000
: XPath 	3,070,000
: VBScript 	2,320,000
: VRML 	1,620,000
: SMIL 	1,070,000
: JScript 	934,000
: XQuery 	932,000
: MathML 	708,000
: XLink 	670,000
: P3P 	667,000
: XForms 	579,000
: XSL-FO 	569,000
: ECMAScript 	412,000
: XPointer 	317,000
: WMLScript 	90,600
: CC/PP 	62,000
: InkML 	4,420
:
: original post from: http://blog.stuart.cpanel.unitec.ac.nz/ but I don't
: really recommend this blog, it is really for my students.
:
: cheers