[thelist] Bare Bone Interactive Marketing campaign implementation

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jun 14 13:19:12 CDT 2005

george tosh noted:

>>I have been hired to build from scratch an online marketing
infrastructure

Hi George,

Congrats!  There is certainly a lot of cool stuff that you can do with
that!

>>I need a quick and dirty tutoring on what is needed for a PPC/Ad Serv
>>and SEO campaign

Are you sure that equates to 'online marketing infrastructure'? (I don't

see it that way, but YMMV.)

>>1. What kinds of marketing activities NEED to be absolutely tracked?
>>How are they tracked?

George ... If you are doing the **online** marketing infrastructure then

I think you need to spend some time talking to that company's
__offline__
marketing infrastructure folks.  [OTOH, if they are really planning for
you to be their 'entire' marketing infrastructure then (and I'm sorry
to say this because I *want* companies to see more and more value to
the web) but they don't really need a 'web guy' ... they need someone
more versed in traditional marketing and advertising.]

>>2. What is the best way to calculate campaign ROI ?

Depends. I've designed primary telephone research surveys to determine
the ROI on television and direct mail campaigns to promote brand
awareness.  I've also done sales lead tracking and follow-up to
determine ROI for a multi-State series of in-person symposiums.

You'll notice that neither of those used the web in any way.

Why not start with something smaller in scale?  Do these folks attend
a lot of plumbing/construction/'general industry' trade shows and
professional society meetings?  Then you could build a db-driven
site to allow folks to enter 'hot leads', route them to the closest
city (or 'assigned sales rep' if you have accounts set up like that),
and track sales against those leads.

HTH,

RonL.