[thelist] Flash - loading variables from remote host

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Sun Jun 19 15:49:17 CDT 2005

I'm updating a flash swf, that needs to load text content from
another host.  The machine the flash file is on is fairly stock
apache.  The text content is coming from a Zope server that has a
basic tool I made to update these text files and serve them as
plaintext.

These text files all look like this:
&news=The New Album will be out in early 2006&
I've also tried a URL quoted version of the same, an with and without
the ampersands.

So I need to figure out how to load the data from actionscript.

I've tried some variations on
loadVariables("http://remotehost.com/bio.txt", "");
which works when I test the file on from my laptop. but not when I
test it on the server.

I've also tried some variations on this

var remoteData:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
remoteData.load("http://contentServer.com/digitalspace/tracks.txt");
remoteData.onLoad = function(success:Boolean){
     if(success){
         tracks.text = remoteData.tracks;
     }
}

I found this code from this tutorial:
http://www.devx.com/webdev/Article/21803

This can't be that complicated...  What am I missing?

thx
--
David