[thelist] Browser-based File Management Software

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:38:56 CDT 2005

We had implemented an app that works with 50-meg files.

RFC HTTP post method will overkill after 10Meg file size.

I've not examined the systems but if they are web-based they should
have use RFC Multipart Form Data post (or whatever technical name it
has)

I have several suggestions in this case:

1. describe your clients how to use an FTP program. (it's not the
hardest thing in the world. you can browse ftp sites even with IE, not
requiring an additional sofware)

2. get a open-source ftp applet and modify it to suit your need.
(which would require users to have JRE plus other security issues: You
need to write a security policy file, need to sign your code with jar
signer etc)

3. devise a progressbar and give feedback to users on how much of the
file has been uploaded. Any progressbar implementation will increase
the actual download time, but users psychologically want to perceive
that something is going on there.
(looking at the progress indicators is fun, isn't it :) )

In the 50+ meg case what we have done was #3.

imho both approaches are equally difficult.

Choose your destiny! :)

HTH,
Volkan.