[thelist] Explaining Payment Processing

Keith cache at dowebs.com
Wed Jun 22 12:25:48 CDT 2005

>    Wow.  So you'd seriously have to call this person and have them fax
> you records of the travel expenses they charged to another credit card or
> paid with traveler's checks?

If those receipts existed, but on a web sale they don't.

>    And I thought they just screwed the consumer.

Joe steals John's Visa card. Joe buys something from me with the card. John
complains a month later that he did not make the purchase.  Visa credits
John's account. Does the saga end there? Hardly. Did the money come from
Visa? No. Visa does a chargeback on me, the merchant. Does it end there?
Again no. Visa charges me a chargeback fee. Credit card theft does not cost
Visa, it's a revenue stream for Visa. It's always the merchant who pays the
bills. It's called "cost-of-doing-business".

Keith
cache at dowebs.com