[thelist] Regular expression to check if other regularexpressions are valid

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:21:08 CDT 2005

try {
   eval("preg_match('/badregex', 'asdfasf');");
}
catch(exception) {
  alert("bad reg ex");
}

will do it for JS.

However what we are thinking (at least what I am thinking) is something like

/bad regex**/
----------------^ (the arrow points the second asterix)

which will indicate the character position of the error.

This can only be done by checking the syntax of regex (with a reg ex,
with a recursive programming logic, with some other logic) imo.

Cheers,
Volkan