[thelist] php questions

Juha Suni juha.suni at ilmiantajat.fi
Thu Jun 23 07:38:03 CDT 2005

> First of all, there are a few files that have no extension on them, no
> .php
> or anything, and somehow they turm into a folder, for example, the events
> file turns into events/add when you are adding an event. I can't figure
> out
> how this was done. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

This sounds like URL rewriting or some other apache stuff, and as such is
not directly caused by PHP itself. You should check the httpd.conf file and
possible .htaccess files in the directories. Others can clarify better how
this works.

> Second, in the code, there are places where it says <<title>> (if this
> doesn't show up in this email, it is << and >> double arrow brackets
> around
> the word title). What is this doing???

It seems that the file where you see these is a template file of a kind, and
is dynamically processed by another script when requested, thus replacing
<<title>> with the actual page title and so on. At least partial separation
of content from the code and design, which is usually a good thing. Could
even be that there is a non-custom template engine running.

--
Suni