[thelist] Barcode Readers in ASP web apps?

Toh Wei Lim tohwei at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 07:02:40 CDT 2005

Hi, Evolters.,

I have read your reply to the subject as belows.
I am so interesting to know more about it.
Because i am planning to use ASP to create a membership program with
the barcode system.

There are few areas which i am totally not clear about even i have
went through some web articles. I hope you can give me a short and
usefuly note on my question.

1) I am not clear about barcode type. I knew that they are alot of
barcode available in the market now. Which one is suitable for
membership identity?

2) How to generate barcode? I have an example source code of how to
generate barcode via ASP code. But, this doesnot tell me how to make
it to support other barcode type. Quite confuse.

3) How to read the barcode that i have generated?
Your reply as below has provide me a hint on how to capture the value
from scanner. But.. pls provide more information. Does it works with
any scanner?! (Just treat it an input from keyboard??)

4) If possible,.. give me some sample source code about barcode
generator and reader method...

Thank you very much. I really need it urgently.

Jeff
Hi Ernie -

I am using barcode scanners in an ASP web app. Works very nicely.
I don't know about DHTML ...

a) Scanning is on a separate page
b) put the focus on the textbox before you scan
c) onchange event for the textbox
d) move to the next page and read the value

the barcode scanner as a "keyboard wedge" makes an entry and presses enter.

Contact me off list if you need more info!