[thelist] Good "tests" for prospective employees?

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Thu Jun 30 11:15:04 CDT 2005

At 16:27 30/06/2005, Samantha McGuin wrote:

>Has anyone had potential low-end developers (html/css/light db and
>scripting) complete any kind of qualifying "test" as part of the hiring
>process?  I've got people interviewing for a production position next
>week, and wondered if anyone had done this.  I'd like to test their css
>skills, and just make sure they have experience working with site on a
>real-world (rather than a textbook) basis.

   If you've got someone who knows about such things to help you interview,
or if you know enough yourself, questions like "how would you approach..."
and so on should tell you what you need to know.

   Failing that, I don't suppose an interviewee would object to sitting
down in front of a machine and putting togther a page for you. It'll do
something toward showing you how they work as well.

   Whenever I've been on the hiring end, I've usually gone on the basis of
a portfolio and an interview, though - interviews are very high stress, and
you wouldn't always see an actual representation of the interviewee's skills.

   Drew.