[thelist] Web server maintainence and backup

Tim Burgan email at timburgan.com
Thu Jun 30 20:11:52 CDT 2005

Hello,

I'm very new to managing web servers. I don't really have a clue.. so I
was hoping I could get some help.

- What's the best way to backup data on a web server?
I was thinking that a second server would be needed just to mirror the
data on the live server. But then what if I decide I need to store
multiple backups (ie. daily backups stored over 2 weeks, therefore
copies 14 backups needed).

What do you currently do? Or, what is the optimal method?

- When needing to perform maintainence on a web server (such as updating
the code used on some pages, or installing new services, etc), what are
the best strategies to do this without interupting current users on the
site?
Do you just make the web server "dead" so when visitors go to my URL,
they get a 404, or something. If I do this, what happens to visitors
that are already on the website, performing some critical action, such
as changing their account settings, changing their password, or
something. They won't know what happened.

Is there a way to make all of this seamless to the user, but also not a
burden for when I need to perform maintainence?

Thanks

Tim