[thelist] Solution for managing jobs/work for design studio

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sat Jul 2 06:09:05 CDT 2005

Justin Zachan Mgmt wrote:
> Hi there.
>

> I was wondering if anyone can offer advice or a solution for managing
> jobs/work for a design studio. In this I mean a computer based solution.

You didn't mention any specifics, so here I go:

http://www.dotproject.net
-------------------------
  PHP-MySQL based project management application.  Has a lot of
options/possibilities.  For example, it has a rudimentary issue
tracking/bugs system, forums, client tracking, etc. Free. Requires a
server capable of running PHP (you can run it just fine on OS X) and MySQL.

   Its not really great for file management, if that's what you are
after.  Its more of a task tracking application.

http://www.basecamphq.com
-------------------------
  Great-looking hosted solution for project management for the
creative/design industry.  Can't comment much on this since I haven't
used it.  The screenshots look very nice, and I know a few people have
recommended it on here before.

  Its a paid solution, but they do offer a free 30-day trial, and a free
feature-limited version.

http://www.opengroupware.org
  This is a more complicated solution for a complete groupware system.
Most probably will need a separate server to run on.  Its got quite a
lot of features, which you can read up on at the website.  Its free.

http://www.gforge.org
  This is a complete environment geared towards hosting multiple
projects with multiple developers.  Also free, has nice features such as
private IM network (using Jabber).

http://www.edgewall.com/trac/