[thelist] Domain forwarding

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Sat Jul 2 08:48:31 CDT 2005

Burhan Khalid wrote:

> fstorr wrote:
>

>> My brother has bought .com and a .co.uk domains for himself and
>> hosting for just the .co.uk one.  Is it possible to forward the .com
>> domain to the .co.uk one without buying hosting for it?
>

> Yes it is.  You can simply point/forward the domain to your current
> domain.  Check your registrar for more information.

Not true. That's the first step...

The second is the httpd.conf (assuming apache)...

Almost all mass hosting providers are going to be using Name based
virtual hosting, so if your web host provider hasn't provided a
ServerName directive in your VirtualServer, then the request is going to
get to the server by virtue of the DNS, but Apache is going to not have
any idea of where the Host: header of the request is to go.

You do need to point the DNS via registrar, but also work with host
provider.