[thelist] Secure FTP

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sun Jul 3 21:39:35 CDT 2005

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Secure FTP
:
: >: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: >: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Keith
: >: Subject: Re: [thelist] Secure FTP
: >:
: >: At 04:07 AM Sunday 7/3/2005, you wrote:
: >:
: >: >Jason Handby wrote:
: >: >>>I've got a customer asking for "secure ftp" to our server.
: >: >>>
: >: >>>Is there an off-the-shelf package for windows that'll provide this
: >: service?
: >:
: >: If you already have a secure certificate for the site
: >: and FrontPage Extensions running you already have
: >: what you need.
: >:
: >:
: >
: >FWIW:
: >
: >This is actually WebDAV over HTTPS, not FTP.
: ><snip>
: >
: Yes, but WebDAV over HTTPS is excessively difficult to configure for
: many admins.

You're joking right?

Enabling WebDAV on IIS6 involves:
a) enabling WebDAV via the IIS Manager
b) choosing which folders should allow writes (again via IIS Manager)
c) choosing which users/groups should have the ability to write (via NTFS
permissions, so use Explorer)

Should take ~1 minute if you're doing a simple setup. It takes even less time
on Windows 2000 because that isn't locked down like IIS6 is.

Now admins *administer* servers. That's their job. If doing some
point-n-click via a GUI interface is too difficult for an administrator, then
perhaps they should be in some other line of work.

Cheers
Ken

IIS Stuff: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/