[thelist] CVS-type solutions?

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Mon Jul 11 02:07:00 CDT 2005

Paul Bennett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we currently use (and pay for) an externally-hosted source code repository application which is turning into a slow, unreliable pain-in-the-rear to work with.
>
> Current workflow is:
> 1. edit code and save into web-app.
> 2. test
> 3. select files to transfer to test server
> 4. web-app transfers files to test server
> 5. test
> 6. transfer files to live server via WinSCP
>

> I've used CVS before and would love to have our own CVS server with all the simple check-in / check-out and rollback functionality. Unfortunately, due to depertmental infighting we are unable to have another server for CVS. (Don't ask)

So you are saying that there is already a CVS server, just that you are
unable to use it.

I was searching for solution close to yours, and I came up with the
following.  I don't know how feasable these are for you, since it seems
you can't run anything locally.  Maybe you could host these somewhere?

* Trac [ http://www.edgewall.com/trac ]
This is an application that ties in with subversion, and provides
an interface with a wiki, issue tracker, project timeline, change view
(ala diff), online code browser and project reports.  Its free, and
requires Python and uses SQLite.  Currently only compatible with
subversion, but there are plans to expand it to CVS and other database
servers.

* Gforge [ http://gforge.org ]
This is more of a complete environment for multi-team and multi-project
development.  Looks very promising (and is compatible with CVS) but I
haven't given it a personal trial.

Hope this helps?