[thelist] Adding attributes for tags

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:31:43 CDT 2005

> > I've modified Peter's defaults to use two "new" attributes -- chk and
> > emsg.  I'm not getting
> >     Line 62, column 25: there is no attribute "chk"
> > stuff.  I'm using a DOCTYPE of xhtml1 transitional so these should not
> > be coming up -- to my understanding.
> >
> > So I thought "There has got to be a way to declare these" so the
> > document passes.  My understanding of XML and friends is still a little
> > sketchy but I think there should be a way to do this.
> >
> > Pointers, directions, or search terms would be appreciated.
>
> If I understand your problem correctly, you could add the attributes
> via JavaScript and DOM.
>
> See:
> http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/xmldom/quickref/element_setAttribute.html

That has nothing to do with  _validating custom attributes_ though.
The above error shows the attributues are already in the markup. An
own DTD helps validating them:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customdtd/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/scripttriggers/

If it is worth the hassle is up to you tough :-)

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com