[thelist] Ideas

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:57:29 CDT 2005

Norman Beresford wrote:
> Now the problem.  The client wants to have a flash intro showing a book
> having it's front cover torn away to reveal the site.  We created a
> simple flash splash screen which showed a book having it's front cover
> ripping away, and then redirecting to the HTML site, however they're not
> happy with that.

My sympathies.

> My only thought at the moment is to have a pure Flash
> presentation layer created which will use the CMS produced XML to
> display the site.

Embrace your hesitation to do this.

> I did think about having an iFrame hidden beneath a flash object, which
> would then be made visible using javascript, but I didn't know how well
> this would work.

I would, instead, put the hidden element (you don't have to resort to
 iframe) *above* the Flash object, as it would then be requested prior
to the request for the Flash object.

You might try using a simple DIV and absolutely position it outside
the browser frame (I would avoid display:none, as I believe it has
been stated here on thelist that this also hides the element from
assistive technology -- but, well, I guess you're using Flash anyway...).

the basics...

<head></head>
this is my page. this is my page.
<embed (or however you embed flash)></embed>

div.hidden {
   position: absolute;
   margin: 0;
   width: 10px;
   left: -11px;
}

div.main {
   position: absolute;
   width: ?;
   top: ?;
   left: ?;
   /* ... */
}

var divs = document.getElementsByTagName('div');
for (var i=0; i<divs.length; i++)
{
   if (divs[i].className && divs[i].className=='hidden')
   {
      divs[i].className = 'main';
   }
}

Just to give you the idea. You'd have to clean that up.

- --
Matt Warden
Miami University
Oxford, OH, USA