[thelist] ASPMail/SMTP frustration

Millington, Anne (DHS-EPO) AMilling at dhs.ca.gov
Thu Jul 14 15:14:32 CDT 2005

Hi there,

It's been awhile since I've written to the list; career paths are funny
things, I guess.

I was recently tasked with modifying  a very old ASPMail script which is
currently set up on our public webserver and sends the form values to a
second server outside our firewall for ASP parsing, then on to yet
another for  SMTP email generation.  I am to bring the entire loop
in-house. I should add that no one around here knows how to deal with
it, and it could be weeks before I can get an actual IT person to come
help.

I have done my share of getting all sorts of scripts to work, but the
challenge here is that our entire architecture is a black box to us,
heavily protected and firewalled, and *who knows* how to really work
with it.  Did I mention that this is a huge government bureaucracy in a
prominent Western State?

Old setup:  form is on our web server, successfully posts the values to
the asp file on external server, which calls a third smtp server.  This
works fine.
Want to set up:  form on our web server, values posted to .asp file on
same web server, then calls our smtp server.

Obviously it ain't working, or I wouldn't be frustrated, right?  I have
tested all I can test from my basically blind perspective, including
successfully passing form values from page to page, parsing asp code and
telneting to the smtp server and getting it to generate an email.
Pathing and syntax seem okay.  But when I try to get the form>asp>smtp
loop to work in this protected environment, I get a pretty generic
error:
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
Server.CreateObject Failed
/epo/formmail/EPOFeedback.asp, line 441
Invalid ProgID. For additional information specific to this message
please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at:
I get the same error whether the asp code calls the remote smtp server
(which works when the asp code resides remotely) or the internal smtp
server they want me to use.  AAaaagh.
I haven't really found help in the Microsoft Online support, nor google
searches on the error message.
So I am just trying to clean up anything that I might have access to
until the IT guy comes.  I thought someone might have something leap out
at them as the culprit. Does it seem an issue with the
firewall/architecture?    Could it be an asp versioning thing?  I don't
even know if they have asp or asp.net installed on their servers.
Any help vastly appreciated.
Anne

Anne Millington