[thelist] Forums - integrated solution versus standalone

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:02:58 CDT 2005

Integrating a open-source forum can be a nightmare (we did one.
Estimated it would take a week, but it took more than a month. After
that, we decided to entirely cancel the forum for several reason which
meant we should roll back everthing we did in the db etc. It was a
second pain.)

There were two big issues in our case:

1. modifying the user/login tables. (every time a user logs in the
system had to log into the forum and vice versa, there were two
different user tables / user status tables / session information etc
etc etc.)
2. security (corollary of 1)

imho, it would be better to install the forum as a seperate module and
just alter its look and feel, wording.

More better write one to suit your needs if you have adequate time/money.

Cheers,
Volkan.