[thelist] ASP support going away?

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 20:49:03 CDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Millington, Anne (DHS-EPO) <AMilling at dhs.ca.gov> wrote:
> So I guess ASP 3.0 wouldn't be your first pick if you are looking for
> major, and I mean major, security and reliability...  :)

I'm not entirely sure what's insecure or unreliable about ASP3.0

The problems with ASP are the same as many other interpreted, non-OOP
development environments: scalability is not so good and development
is more difficult. You can leverage COM+ to get some scalability, but
debugging across mutiple tiers is difficult.

> I want to make a case for so migrating where I am,

Well, there's plenty of information on the Microsoft website.
Better/easier development, rich base class library, superior
performance are all factors to include.

> and can't believe
> that writing to the CDONTS component is a good thing.

Other than CDONTS being deprecated, I'm not sure what other issues
there are with writing against CDONTS. Writing against CDOSYS
(replacement for CDONTS) would be better. But CDONTS isn't part of ASP
per se, so I'm not sure what relationship this has with the
reliability/security of ASP3