[thelist] current PHP: PEAR, etc?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jul 21 01:54:04 CDT 2005

Matt Warden wrote:
> Other than QuickForm, I tend to stay away
> from the PEAR::HTML* packages and use Smarty[3] instead. I don't feel
> like creating HTML elements in an OOP way fits into a typical
> development environment.

Like Matt, I tend to use Smarty for HTML generation.  Some of the HTML
packages in PEAR by default output rather ugly nested-tables-based HTML
markup anyway.

I can recommend a dead-tree resource: check out David Sklar's Essential
PHP Tools.  It covers a few of the more ubiquitous PEAR packages, such
as PEAR::DB, PEAR::Auth, PEAR::HTML_QuickForm, PEAR::SOAP and
PEAR::XML_RPC (it also covers ADOdb and Smarty).  It's not a book for
beginners, but rather an "in-depth overview" of some of the better (and
more ubiquitous) packages in PEAR and related packages.

HTH
--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/