[thelist] wireless router and a vpn?

Rick Faaberg rfaaberg at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 01:35:25 CDT 2005

On 7/21/05 11:03 PM "Justin Zachan Mgmt" <justin at jazzmanagement.com.au> sent
this out:

> If anyone can recommend where to start (or even a solution) for a VPN (using
> wireless) that would be fantastic.

I haven't done much research on this, but I'm aware of:

--- quoting
Open VPN
<http://openvpn.net/>

"OpenVPN is a full-featured SSL VPN solution which can accomodate  a wide
range of configurations,  including remote access,  site-to-site VPNs,  WiFi
security,  and enterprise-scale  remote access solutions with load
balancing, failover, and  fine-grained access-controls  (articles)
(examples)  (security overview)  (non-english languages).

OpenVPN implements  OSI layer 2 or 3 secure network extension using  the
industry standard SSL/TLS protocol, supports  flexible client authentication
methods based on certificates, smart cards, and/or 2-factor authentication,
and allows user or group-specific access control  policies using firewall
rules applied to the VPN  virtual interface. OpenVPN is not a web
application  proxy and does not operate through a web browser.

For a good conceptual introduction to OpenVPN,  see the program notes for
James Yonan's talk  at Linux Fest Northwest 2004 --  Understanding the
User-Space VPN: History,  Conceptual Foundations, and Practical Usage.  See
also  OpenVPN and the SSL VPN Revolution by Charlie Hosner.

OpenVPN is an Open Source project and is  licensed under the GPL.
Commercial licenses are also available for firms who would  like to
redistribute OpenVPN with their own proprietary applications.  Contact
info at openvpn.net for more information.

OpenVPN runs on:

Linux, Windows 2000/XP and higher, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X,  and
Solaris.
--- end quoting

Maybe check that out? Looks complicated to me, but that's just me. :-)

Hth

Rick Faaberg