[thelist] IE layout problems

Steve Clason stevec at topdogstrategy.com
Mon Aug 1 23:38:25 CDT 2005

On 8/1/2005 6:51 PM Stuart Young wrote:
> thanks for that Steve, but it isn't that. As you can see the page now uses the proper DTD:
> http://www.immigratenz.co.nz/expo-programme.html
>
> Anyway, I thought that if you gave a browser the proper DTD for Transitional that it still used Quirks mode? I tried using the proper DTD for Strict as well but it still breaks in IE6.
>
> Any other ideas? I presume it is a IE CSS bug, but I don't know which one or how to solve it.

I got most of it by changing this:

dl.tabular dt {
	float:left;
	clear:left;/****delete this****/
	padding: 0.5em 0;
	width:17%;
	margin: 0;
}
But there's still some residual flakiness. That sure looks like tabular
data to me, though--I'd consider putting it in a table (gasp!) rather
than trying to make a definition list work.

For what that's worth.
--
Steve Clason
Web Design and Development