[thelist] Problems traversing XML tree in JavaScript

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 08:24:01 CDT 2005

Sorry the mail was sent in the middle of the post.

not actually

catalogs.xml:
<catalog>
   <item>
      <name>music item 1</name>
      <type>cd</type>
   </item>
   ... all other items to be listed in the catalog.

</catalog>

now if I need something like <sites> it will be totally irrelevant to
put it into the catalogs xml.

<sites>
   <site>...</site>
   <site>...</site>
</site>

So I have two root nodes, one for sites, one for catalogues: and two
seperate xml documents. logically consistent.

If I want to enlarge sites xml and say add domains to it. Then it is
possible that I am thinking of a larger entity:

<web-settings>
    <sites>
       <site></site>
       <site></site>
    </sites>
    <response-filters>
        <filter>...</filter> ...
    </response-filters>
    <subdomains>
        <domain></domain> ...
    </subdomains>
</web-settings>

we may expand web-settings even further:

<project-settings>
    <web-settings></web-settings>
    <environment-settings></environment-settings>
    <compiler-options></compiler-options>
</project-settings>

So imho, a root node is something that "perfectly" makes sense.
Assigning it a general anonymous name such as root would be at least
semantically incorrect.

Cheers
Volkan.