[thelist] how to stop an ip sending emails?

Jason Handby jasonh at corestar.co.uk
Tue Aug 2 18:46:53 CDT 2005

Hi Daryl,

> How can I stop these attachment emails from downloading (I'm
> getting over 100 a day)  any suggestions?

This might not sound like much of a suggestion...

I was getting a lot of random emails on my catchall account, thanks to
some charming spammer using my domain in his fake sender addresses. All
the bounce-backs were coming to me -- and ending up in my catchall,
since the names the spammer had made up didn't correspond to actual
mailboxes.

My solution was to get rid of my catchall mailbox, and only to allow
delivery to named users. (Don't forget to include "postmaster" in your
allowable users; I think you still have to do that as per some RFC or
other.) I get a *lot* less spam now, and despite my initial misgivings
about doing this I think it has inconvenienced just about nobody.

Jason