modified preordered tree traversal (was RE: [thelist] CF: Valuestransposition. Too ugly, needs a face lift.)

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Aug 3 08:00:58 CDT 2005

Joel asked:

>>Anyway, is there more out there about modified preordered tree
>>traversal? Is there a 'definitive document' or is that tutorial it?

Hi Joel,

Mark brought up Oracle's "support" for traversing hierarchical trees.

(Yeah - I put "support" in quotes on purpose ... Cuz I've tried
to wrestle with that bear in the past.  [Attempting to pull
multi-level manufacturing 'bill of material' information out of
one of these Oracle structures.]  ;-(  I had an easier time
building my own clunky, Rube Goldberg style work-around to pull
the information out of those kinds of data structures. This stuff
can get real ugly real fast.)

Here's the relevant section of an Oracle tutorial by 'the man',
(Phil Greenspun):
http://philip.greenspun.com/sql/trees.html

Phil writes very well, and there might not be _anybody_ who
understands this stuff better.  Phil is top shelf.  This would
be my closest guess at a 'definitive tutorial'.

Or maybe try an article from another db wizard. (I haven't read
too much by him - but Rudy always brings this guy's name up,
(Joe Celko), so you *know* he must be pretty damn sharp!):
http://www.dbazine.com/ofinterest/oi-articles/celko24

Good Luck!

HTH,

RonL.