[thelist] Holy Status Bar Batman

Sam Carter sam at iness.com
Wed Aug 3 12:05:09 CDT 2005

Christian Heilmann wrote:

>>Any thoughts on why the status bar is occasionally showing up?
>>

>Because it gives the visitor information which some browser vendors
>thought important enough to suppress the option to turn off the status
>bar via scripting.
>A support chart (in German) is here, should be rather obvious:
>http://de.selfhtml.org/javascript/objekte/window.htm#open

I was clear that this is an IE6 problem, and that it was intermittent
(flaky) problem.  I can't reproduce this problem on my workstation using
IE6 at all..  Not sure if you caught that when I read your response
above.  The table of support above isn't very applicable to my
situation, as this is a closed community website, and all users are
running IE6.

>You cannot win this battle, the browser chrome is the user's not yours
>to define.

In fact, this is being written for a closed community website wherein
all the users are running IE6 ( and this is an intermittent bug ).  So
I'm not sure you are correct in this instance, but perhaps for public
websites you may be partially correct.  I don't write webs that control
the skin on public websites myself.

>Your above link is even more annoying, as the link will not work
>without JavaScript and "click here" is not making sense when someone
>cannot see your page but only hear it.

"Click Here" is sample text for illustration.  The actual text would
reveal the name of the product we are working on, so I do as everyone
else does in public forums:  I substitute "plain text" of some kind.
I've also written Sec 508 pages for years now, and I am fully aware that
JavaScript may not  be enabled on all browsers in the public domain and
that "click here" isn't a good choice for aural readers (or for visual
links for that matter).  I wonder how so much criticism of a snippet can
be posted with nothing to contribute regarding this bug?  This feels
like I'm being flamed.  If I were a first-time poster on this list, I
don't think I'd be back ;-@

>Why don't you just use a fixed size layout and center it in the
>browser? Same effect, less hassle.

Rest assured, if I can't swat this bug, I'll find a workaround.

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this problem, please let
me know.

Sam