[thelist] Copying data from one registry to another?

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sat Aug 6 19:17:31 CDT 2005

Frank wrote:
> I've recently bought a new machine, and put the hard-drive of my old
> machine in the new. I want to copy some parts of the windows registry to
> the new one, specifically (at the moment) my DreamWeaver site data.
>
> What is the tool that I need? Regedit, and about a dozen or so apps seem
> to open only the current registry. How can I copy and paste from my old
> registry into my new one?
>
> Thanks
 >
> Frank Marion     lists at frankmarion.com      Keep the signal high.

I think you're in luck...  the standard Regedt32.exe tool should let you
do this like so:

1) Open Regedt32 from Start->Run
2) Pick the subwindow for HKLM or HKCU as appropriate, highlight the
root entry
3) Use File->Load Hive, browse to the appropriate file on the old HD
4) Give the hive a temporary name similar to the desired name, eg.
"SoftwareX" if using the "Software" hive.
5) Browse in Regedt32 to the registry data you want and export it using
File->Save Subtree as...
6) Use your favorite editor to search and replace the temporary name
with the real key name
7) Pull it back into Regedt32 with File->Restore

A good reference for registry hive storage locations:
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/224/3.html
look for "Table 2"

Ummm, probably don't need to warn you, but....  might want to back up
your registry before you start ;-).

HTH,

Phil