[thelist] RegEx problem again [solved]

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 11:37:04 CDT 2005

--- Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Just add a space to the character sets, so [a-zA-Z] becomes [a-zA-Z ].  Note
> >>the space before the closing square bracket.
> > That worked perfect, Lee thanks!
>
> Doing this will count the spaces as one of the 3 or 4 characters,
> which I assume is not what you want to do.

Hmm..that is true. Testing it, it seems to still work as needed though. Granted, someone could
enter "p(space)*" and it will allow it through for a search - but they won't get very good
matches. The requirement of 3 is simply to allow for a better search.

As for stripping spaces, I can't do that because the entry is being matched exactly to a database
entry which of course will have the spaces. In any event, I will look at the one you sent too Matt
(even though it hurts my brain!) and see if it works better :)

Tom

http://www.pixelmech.com/

Melissa: Ace, Where are you?
Ace Ventura: I'm in Psychoville and Finkle's the Mayor.