[thelist] Bidding a project

Mark Kamian mhkamian at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:54:37 CDT 2005

Hi there,

For the past few years my web development experience has been primarily
relegated to two large residential real-estate projects.  Recently, a small
commercial real estate firm has contacted me to design a site for them, a
project I am excited about both for its own merits and as a segue into
further such projects.

They'll have six main sections: Home page, About Us, Featured Property
(changes every couple months), Listings, Services, and a Contact page.  For
the Listings info a simple, database-driven back-end with which they'll
input up to 15 fields will furnish a one-line summary page, along with a
detail page for each property.  It will be similar to this other site I
created: http://www.lcbassociates.com, but without the .pdf property detail
flyers.

Where is he going with this, you ask?

Well, since I don't have much experience with bidding projects, I was hoping
to get some advice on  average amounts in terms of Design and
Maintenance/Hosting pricing for something like this.

I guess my question is this:  Do you developers out there charge a large
up-front design fee with minimal recurring hosting fees?  Or, vice-versa
with perhaps a longer contract term length?

Any ideas on how much is the "right" amount for a project of this scope?
Very subjective topic, I realize, however any sage words will be
appreciated...

Thanks,
Mark