[thelist] case statement catch-all? MSSQL

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Thu Aug 25 11:59:55 CDT 2005

Joshua Olson wrote:

> You know what's frustrating about this particular issue?  It's the lack of
> acknowledgement.

If i'm coming across as not greatful for the help, its mistaken.  In
said thanks.  If I need to to redeem myself, i'll go through my recycle
bin and find the old messages.

  You asked a somewhat simple question, and received many
> replies... some of which were the SOLUTION to your question.  Instead of a
> "thank you", all we see is "this problem is sure hard, I'm gonna do it my
> way, even though I know my solution sucks".

That's not true at all.  In the last post i made, i asked more questions
about the asp side vs sql side.  I'm not "set in my ways" and would
glady do it the better way--  i'm just not sure that it IS the better
way in the long run.

> Perhaps you oversimplified your original question, because your solution
> (the only one you seem to feel solves the issue) is completely off the deep
> end in regards to your original post.

I over simplified it because most of the stuff involved is easy to
figure out on my own, and didn't need the help of the list to get to
that point.  I created a concise example that's workable.

I don't know about you guys, but it bothers me and makes me not want to
help someone when i have to sift through 50 lines of code that could
have been trimmed to only include the problem lines in about 5 or lines.
  It makes it easier to read, understand what's going on, and encourages
more responses to the problem.

> Morale of the story... asking questions that actually relate to your problem
> may help you, and others, feel less frustrated.  Then, acknowledge answers
> EVEN IF they correctly answer the incorrect question.

I feel as if it is a direct coorelation between my post and the actual
code.  Perhaps, as the thread went on, more details were needed.

Working for a company that mostly deals with external clients, I'm not
at liberty to post the names of the tables, the fields, and the
exactness of what's going on-- especially since this list is published
on the web.  Our clients deserve a certain privacy, and I as a
programmer should keep my name and questions away from the code samples
that will be published.

And going back to the beginning, if you don't think i've acknowledged
answers properly, well, then, I guess you're just a better human being
than I am and asking questions back to the answer just isn't good enough.

All that said, this thread totally discouraged me from this list.

don't bother replying to this anymore...  i'm done with it.  I'll figure
it out on my own or on another list.  Maybe i'll post back when i have a
"harder" question that doesn't "frustrate" the list.  I don't need this,
and appearently, the list doesn't need me either.

Cheers