[thelist] JS: Resizing an image?

Kowalkowski, Lee (ASPIRE) lee.kowalkowski at hmrcaspire.com
Fri Aug 26 05:30:13 CDT 2005

My point precisely.

> I am on a
> 3.2ghz machine with 2gb of RAM, a 19" TFT and a 4mbit connection and I
> still consider HTML resized images ugly and unneccessary pageload.

So do I, not ugly though, just not elegant.  I think performance is a better
argument than appearance.  You'd also have an unnecessary load if you had
server-side resized the same image for 5 different sizes on the same page or
typical visit.  The browser would download 5 images as opposed to 1.

I suppose I'm just miffed by the statement "there's no real resampling" when
you don't know that, you just can't guarantee it for 100% of visitors.
Visitors with 256 colours are going to have a degraded experience regardless
for example.  My home computer's over 5 years old, about an eight of the
capacity of the above and I don't experience the mentioned resizing issues.

Your decision to server-side resize or client-side resize should be based on
performance, not your assumption that your resizing algorithm is better than
what your visitors machine would use.