[thelist] List Server Host/Software

Ed McCarroll Ed at ComSimplicity.com
Fri Aug 26 14:48:13 CDT 2005

> I need to set up an email listserv for a nonprofit.  That means it's
> either free, or inexpensive.  It cannot be membership-based, like
> Yahoo!Groups.  It can be either a hosted solution, or I could set
> up a LAMP-based open source solution, if it didn't require root
> access.

OK, folks.  I posted this on two lists and got about eight replies.  Since you
all pitched in, I thought I'd share a compilation of the results.

I was looking for a way to set up a listserve like TheList, either by installing
open source software on my site, or by using a hosted service.  Here's what I
found:

Websites that offer lists if you become a member:
- groups.yahoo.com
- groups.google.com
- coollist.com
- NPOgroups.org/lists

Open source listservers that require root access:
- MailMan
- Majordomo

Open source list management tools that aren't full-blown list servers:
- DaDaMail (came closest - has a )
- ListCast.com
- tincan.co.uk/phplist

Low cost list management tools that aren't full-blown list servers:
- sendstudio.com

Low-cost hosting services that offer MailMan:
- totalchoicehosting.com ($44/yr)
- mybes.com ($12/yr)
- edgreenberg.com ($60/yr)
- feedle.net/services/free.shtml (free to "qualified" users)
- travisBSD.org (free to "qualified" users)
- communitycolo.net (donations requested, non-commercial users)