[thelist] SEO and Dynamic URIs

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Mon Aug 29 10:25:38 CDT 2005

 > If you're bothered about SEO though, I'd be more worried about the
 > content of your pages than spending time thinking about pretty URLs.

I don't know if I would say I am 'bothered' about SEO, but we certainly
want to do what we can, within reason, to encourage traffic. This is a
business and we want to sell magazine subscriptions.

> I agree about the importance of the content.  However, the more
> important point about the dynamic URIs isn't as much that the URI itself
> is less SE-friendly (although in fact that's usually also true).  The
> bigger concern though is whether or not the engines can find the URI in
> the first place.  If there are links which can be crawled within the
> content to the dynamic URI's, you're probably fine, in my experience.

All links can be crawled, as they appear on a page in the site. Matter
of fact, if a 'dynamic' link doesn't appear on the site, then it
probably won't work anyway as that issue hasn't yet appeared. :)

As far as content, I have made an effort to make the HTML semantic
(although not a concerted effort), but the home page itself is actually
static, save the links to this week's issue, which change by one number
each week.

Hmm, now that you two mention it, I suppose it would help the SEs were
we to put a bit of fresh content on the home page each week. Perhaps a
sample of the index or the blurb from this week's feature article.

This is a great idea. :)

Thanks.