[thelist] Table layout to CSS: Not as easy as I thought!

Bill Scheider earthwrk at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 22:13:34 CDT 2005

Hi all,

Although I've been using CSS for some time, I'm still new and this is my
first attempt at using style sheets for layout. What an adventure! I'm
converting the site below from tables. The screenshot link shows what it
looks like in Firefox (and what I'm hoping it will look like in most
browsers).

In IE6 (Windows XP, 1024 res), tho', it's broke, broke, broke! The top menu
bar (red) shows in IE but then repeats itself (without the menu items) about
1/3 down the page. Also, there's a huge white gap between the small product
image at the top of the content div and the data table below it. The firefox
(preferred) version has the data table about 15px below the image.

If anyone on this list would take some time to take a look and teach a
novice a lesson or two, I'd really appreciate it. I wrestled with it laast
night for a number of bleary-eyed hours and can't figure out where to go
from here.

Markup and CSS Validates.

Page can be found here:

http://first-encounter-design.com/syntonic/prod-plo.html