[thelist] mssql, dts and so forth

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Wed Aug 31 01:32:49 CDT 2005

`lo all,

Fun question. We basically have a service which pumps out updates to SQL
servers based on input from a variety of sources.... currently there are
a few different methods by which we do this... XML transformations, and
so on.

What we are looking at is whether it's feasible to do this more natively
via DTS.

These jobs basically run on 'update', or every minute, at most...

I guess what I want to know is re DTS:

1) how high is the instantiation/execution cost?
2) how easy is it to create DTS jobs and maintain them "in code" rather
than the convoluted GUI of Enterprise Manager?

Cheers,
Robert