[thelist] javascript default event handlers, default events. [TIP]

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 10:10:11 CDT 2005

> We know exactly where to look for it, as opposed to any
> particular place in our JS source, perhaps even more than once, or as a
> result of many conditions.

Here is the way I do it:

I attach the events on the page on a single place in the script

Basically I use this structure:

PageName.js
-------------------
/*I place init at the top of my js file usually named <PageName>.js */
function init(){
   .. do initialization logic...

   var eh=new EventHandler();
   eh.addEventListener(document.getElementById("foo"),"click",foo_click);
   eh.addEventListener(document.getElementById("bar"),"click",bar_click);
   eh.addEventListener(document.getElementById("baz"),"click",baz_click);
}
/*I place the handling function just after the init*/
function foo_click(evt){..}
function bar_click(evt){...}
function baz_click(evt){...}

So it is neat, events are attached at a single place. Behavior is
separated from code. It is easy to maintain (imho) since you know what
code belongs to where.

That is, as long as you follow some logic and some conventions, it is
even easier (imho) to add/ammend/remove event handling logic on the js
side.

Cheers,
Volkan.