[thelist] js widget for ordered selection?

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Sep 7 08:21:53 CDT 2005

I remember I used to teach gopher to 1st year students back when I was a
final year student at Uni. And Archie, Veronica and Telnet :-)

Frankly, IMHO, the world has moved on. Certainly there are certain older
technologies (like NNTP, FTP etc) that have remained popular. FTP can support
TLS for authentication/encryption. FTP extensions allow resuming
downloads/uploads, and so on.

However Gopher is not a protocol that has remained popular. It simply doesn't
have any compelling features that recommend its use above/beyond competing
protocols.

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of VOLKAN ÖZÇELIK
: Sent: Wednesday, 7 September 2005 8:33 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] js widget for ordered selection?
:
: Yes I managed to open it with ff.
:
: Not to divert the discussion but yet another curios question:
:
: A definition I find says that gopher is
:
: "a system that pre-dates the World Wide Web for organizing and
: displaying files on Internet servers. A Gopher server presents its
: contents as a hierarchically structured list of files. With the
: ascendance of the Web, many gopher databases were converted to Web
: sites which can be more easily accessed via Web search engines."
:
: So is there a reason to prefer gopher server to an http server? In
: order words, does gopher have some advantages over http, or is it just
: another protocol?
:
: Cheers,
: Volkan.