[thelist] grounding + shorts (installing hardware)

Richard Maloley II richard at rrcomputerconsulting.com
Thu Sep 8 11:12:42 CDT 2005

I build computers on a fairly regular basis, and it sounds to me as though
you do have a dead motherboard. It was probably dead on arrival, so save
yourself the hassle and RMA it.

As for grounding yourself, it is recommended that you work over a grounding
sheet and that you wear a grounding bracelet. However, in the 5+ years of
working with computers, I've never once used a bracelet or sheet. I just
touch some metal in the case before grabbing a component and I'm good to go.
Never fried a chip, either. Dropping them on the other hand, that's a horse
of a different color...

-Richard