[thelist] Problems with CSS positioning

Amy Johnson amy at rocky-hills.com
Thu Sep 8 14:29:09 CDT 2005

I've been working on this for days and am finally throwing up my hands.
What I want is for my 2 column page to adjust to variable height with both
columns being the same height.  I also have a background image I have to
place in one of the columns and tried floating it and relative positioning
but was only able to get it to work with absolute positioning.  And finally
I have used old fashion tables to do the content because I don't know how I
would approach that design using CSS.

Anyway, the page is a disaster on Mac IE 5.2 and Linux Konqueror 3.0.5.  I
read that Macs have problems with block elements (i.e. tables) inheriting
relative positioning.   Does anyone have any ideas at all about how to make
this work?

Here's the page:
http://www.rocky-hills.com/sample/mfh/index.html

Here's the CSS
http://www.rocky-hills.com/sample/mfh/style.css

Here's the BrowserCam views which show how it looks on various browsers:
http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=189472

I have validated the HTML and the CSS.

Thanks so much for any help.
Amy