[thelist] Weird bot email [long]

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sat Sep 10 17:14:20 CDT 2005

Hey List,

I have a handrolled php contact form on my site and (with minor
variations) on a few of my clients' sites.  Really basic: user fills in
the form, POSTs the form data to itself, and sends an email to the site
owner via php mail().  The destination for the contact mail is hardcoded
into the php and is not exposed in any way, and the script runs
stip_tags() on the user-entered data.  This script dates back a ways,
and it appears that my security awareness level was still pretty low
when I wrote it...

So anyway now as site owner I am getting email from this script which is
always from /[a-z]{3,10}@neptunewebworks.com/ (i.e. 3-10 random alpha
chars @ my own domain).  The body of the message appears to be
attempting to spoof the headers or something.  I saw a few of these go
through last week, and figured it was just some joker.  Now I'm getting
6-8 of these a day, so I figure the bad guys may have found a way in.  I
tested my box for open relays, etc, but got nothing.  Still, these
messages look fishy.  Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Here's a sample message (overcomeyourstagefright.com is my client's
site), with the header/body division marked: