[thelist] What tools should I use?

jcole1513 jcole1513 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 08:11:09 CDT 2005

Hi:
I'm pretty new to web development (supporting one website for about a
year), and would like to know what direction I should take for becoming
a full-fledged web developer. Specifically, I would like to know what
are the arguments for using open-source tools (Apache, PHP, MySQL,Linux)
over, say, Microsoft environment (IIS,ASP,.NET, SQL server). Are there
any good articles on the pros and cons of one kind of environment over
another?

Also, it seems there are some good arguments for Flash over Java, but
I'd be interested to have that confirmed from some of the veterans out
there.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Jeannie
jcole1513 at comcast.net