[thelist] Good SQL resource

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Sep 13 02:05:22 CDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Doug R
Sent: Tuesday, 13 September 2005 9:26 AM
To: doug.rehg at gmail.com
Subject: [thelist] Good SQL resource

: I am trying to find a good resource for SQL server 2000. Specifically,
: I need a good book that will cover triggers, what you can/cannot do
: with them, etc. My SQL experience is limited to normal
: select/update/delete/alter, etc, and doesn't really cover stored
: procs or triggers.

There isn't that much to triggers or sprocs in of themselves. But likewise,
SQL isn't that complex either (only a dozen or so keywords). It's how you use
them well that's the tricky bit. :-) And to use sprocs, triggers and queries
generally well requires some understanding of how SQL Server works, how
indexes work and so on.

I would recommend the following resources:

Rob Vieira's Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming (Wrox). Starts from the
beginning and works its way forward. I really like Rob's writing style, and
the information is good if you are starting out. Also covers the basics of
administration, security and so forth if you need info on that. This is quite
a hefty book (~1500 pages IIRC) and is reasonably comprehensive.

Kalen Delaney: Inside SQL Server 2000 (MS Press). A bit dated, but loads of
very good information on the internals of SQL Server. I've been lucky enough
to see Kalen present on SQL Server, and she really knows her stuff. Others
have recommended this book and I wholeheartedly agree.

Ken England (Digital Press): Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Performance
Optimization and Tuning Handbook. Not for beginners, but a fantastic resource
on writing queries the best way in SQL Server.

Ken Henderson's book (The Guru's Guide to Transact SQL) is not one I have
personally, but I have perused a colleagues copy and I would recommend this
and worth being on your bookshelf.

SQL Server Books Online (the product manual). For information on how to write
a sproc or a trigger, this is the best place to get this info and it's free.
The other resources just tell you how to do it better, and why you should do
things a particular way and not another way.

Cheers
Ken