[thelist] RE: What tools do I use?

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Wed Sep 14 10:13:35 CDT 2005

> Thanks, Max, that's what I was looking for. Freelance web
> development is
> the direction that appeals to me the most; however, I did want to hear
> general arguments for all environments in case I have to bail on the
> small business venture ;-)
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Jeannie

Great googlymooglies I just realized who you were - Hi, Jeannie!

Yeah, if I were starting over right now, I'd start with open source -
PHP, MySQL (or similar) and *nix. I do have to say, though, that working
in an MS-centric world for many years has given me experience I'll be
glad I have, even after I complete my own transition to the non-MS dev
world. Also, you *can* get MS-based hosting inexepensively, and
experiment with ASP, SQL, and the whole MS world, so it's not
necessarily a cost consideration while you're in startup mode. A text
editor that works for PHP is probably going to work just as well for ASP
:)

Welcome to thelist :)

joel