[thelist] [SQL Server] Can you do a UNION on a text column?

Tab Alleman talleman at Lumpsum.com
Thu Sep 15 15:22:26 CDT 2005

thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> Hey guys -
>
> I have a bad feeling the answer is going to be 'no' - but is there a
> way in which you can do a UNION on a SQL server field that is of type
> 'text'.
>
> I can't convert the text field to varchar, as the text is longer than
> 8000 characters.
>
> I am using SQL Server 2000 (but am happy to upgrade if that
> solves the issue)

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here... I don't think of UNION as something that's done "on" a field.  Do you mean something like:

SELECT RowID, TextFieldA
UNION
SELECT RowID, TextFieldB

?