[thelist] Site check please rocky-hills.com

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Sep 17 11:36:21 CDT 2005

Christian Heilmann wrote:

> Felix, you've been down this road before on the CSS-D list. It is
> great to make people aware of accessiblity and text resizing issues,
> but using a worst case scenario screen resolution on a non-mainstream
> operating system will result in more people getting annoyed than
> listening to what you - and likeminded people - have to say.

People asking for site checks are as likely to be new to the forum as to
have been down the road before, maybe more likely. That the old-timers
don't appreciate it makes it no less important for the noobs to be aware
of. I've taken to in most cases simply accepting the reply-to just as
the listserv dictates. That means here you see me more because everyone
gets my replies, while on css-d you see me less because most of my
replies are now private.

That I used Linux is irrelevant. Windoze can run the exact same
resolution I used (and sometimes higher) and similar or same DPI and UI
control sizes. I just happen to have Linux already running and ready to
go that way (my local server), and reserve the expensive, proprietary,
virus/trojan/spyware host OS for use only on an as-required basis. Using
Linux this way thankfully allows me to go frequently more than a week
between doze boots. Another reason I use Linux for screenshots is that
Epiphany runs only there. Epiphany includes the text resizer right on
the toolbar (where every browser should have one by default) to make the
screenshot viewer aware if and how much zoom was used. Since Epiphany is
a Gecko, its rendering should be identical to any Firefox, Mozilla, or
Netscape of same vintage. Using Linux also highlights the fact that not
everyone uses doze.

The "worst-case" scenario is intended to with emphasis point out or
remind that the web is a fluid medium, and that most ought to be
designing for everyone (non-discriminatory as to those using high
quality equipment and/or settings; adaptable, with em &/or percentage
container and text sizing) rather than just for the
lowest-common-denominator majority (discriminates against those using
high quality equipment and/or settings; fixed ~740px wide overall with
px or pt sized text).
--
"Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you."
                                                Psalm 55:22 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/