[thelist] opening .gz files in XP

Sheriff sheriff at drivestream.com
Sun Sep 18 06:48:25 CDT 2005

Stuart Young scribeva in 2005-09-15 12:52:
> I have some users who need to open up a .gz archive file...
> Is there a windows archive utility that supports .gz files that
doesn't need to be installed?

Check out http://www.7-zip.org/ a free file archiver with high
compression ratio for Windows. Supported formats: 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR,
ARJ, LZH, GZIP, BZIP2, Z, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB. For ZIP and GZIP
formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than
ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip.

It has lots more feature and comes handy under the Window file context
menu (on right click). Cooler than Winzip. And, of course, this is a
freeware (the least assured from any sourceforge.net project).