user 'freedom' (was RE: [thelist] Site check: Staples.com)

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Tue Sep 20 22:46:23 CDT 2005

Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:09 -0700, Anthony Ettinger wrote:
>

>> From your source above:
>>
>> Linux
>>

> For future reference, it's GNU/Linux. (And yes I realize you didn't
> write the original article.)
>

>> differs from both Windows and Mac OS in that it is an open source
>>

> Wrong. GNU is a free software operating system. Richard Stallman has

With apologies for multiple replies. GNU is NOT an operating system, or
rather, it is not Linux. And stating it as such is extremely misleading.
Unless, of course, you care to point out the announcement that marked
the moving of the various Linux distributions to being under the GNU
umbrella/name?

The closest thing GNU has to an operating system is a kernel called Hurd
which has been under development for the last quarter of a century and
has yet to release a stable release.

Robert