[thelist] Wireless security

Rick Faaberg rfaaberg at comcast.net
Wed Sep 21 02:30:42 CDT 2005

On 9/20/05 11:54 PM "Ken Schaefer" <Ken at adOpenStatic.com> sent this out:

> b) Use MAC filtering on your router. Just the MAC addresses of each device
> that should be allowed to connect.
>

> d) Disabling SSID Broadcast can make your network less visible to curious
> outsiders, but they'd be deterred by WPA anyway. Any number of tools
> (Netstumbler etc) will happily pull SSID out of the air that aren't being
> broadcast.

Are your b) and d) usually sufficient in a residential environment? Seems to
me that's so. I periodically check the DHCP client list and I've never had a
poacher on the list.

I probably should turn on WEP (my WAP doesn't do WPA) but I had problems
before with WEP. Do people really do packet sniffing to residential wireless
networks? Do they park their cars in front of folks' houses and sniff away?
:-)

Thanks,

Rick Faaberg